Originally in the lands called Strathbogie, Huntly owes its name and existence to the Gordon family.
In 1319 Robert the Bruce granted the lands of Strathbogie to Adam de Gordon originally of Berwickshire. The family base at Strathbogie castle was renamed Huntly castle in 1506.
From his base in Strathbogie the 1st Earl of Huntly became a great force in the North of Scotland. To engender loyalty to his family he rewarded anyone who adopted the name Gordon with a gift of oatmeal. The family reached the heights of its power under the 4th Earl (1513-1562) who was known as the “Cock of the North”.
The 4th Duke of Gordon raised the Gordon Highlanders in 1794 and Huntly is considered by many to be the home of the regiment. The Gordon Highlanders went on to become one of the most renowned fighting outfits in the British army with successful campaigns in many far flung corners of the world. The Huntly and District Pipe Band has close affinities with the regiment and was formed in 1948 by Gordon Highlanders returning home from the Second World War.
History tells us that Huntly had an earlier pipe band called the Huntly Volunteers Pipe band that existed in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. A piper called Thomas Stone wrote a tune in 1901 called “The Huntly Gallant Volunteers”. In 1905 the band was 21 members strong, today the band has over 30 members and celebrated its 60th anniversary in August 2008.